How Megaways Slots Work
So how exactly do Megaways slots work? They have a special in-built feature called Megaways which changes the number of ways to win every time you spin the reels. Most of these slots have six reels and an extra row above reels 2-5. Reels 1 and 6 can have two to seven symbols on them, while reels 2-5 can have two to six because the extra row above them always provides one symbol per row. Therefore, reels 1 and 6 can have two symbols at the least, while for reels 2-5 it’s minimum of three symbols that they can have. In order to win, three or more instances of the same symbol have to land anywhere on adjacent reels (this includes the top row). The chain of matching symbols has to start on the far left reel.
To work out the number of ways to win, you take the numbers of symbols on each reel and multiply them together. So, for example, if you have two symbols on reels 1 and 6 and three in total on reels 2-5, you would do 2 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 2, which gives you 324. If, on the other hand, the reels all have seven symbols on them, the calculation would be 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 – this gives you 117,649, which is the highest number of ways to win a six-reel Megaways slot can have when it’s got a maximum of seven symbols per reel.
The number of symbols on each reel can differ from one reel to the next. So, for example, on any random spin you could end up with three symbols on reel 1, four on reel 2, seven on reel 3 and so on. This means that the number of ways to win can change quite a lot every time you spin the reels. It also makes Megaways slots a lot more exciting and unpredictable than regular slots that have a fixed number of ways to win on every spin.
Most Megaways slots have a six-reel grid with up to seven symbols on each reel and a maximum of 117,649 ways to win. Some have smaller grids and fewer ways to win, while others are played on larger grids and are able to have even more ways to win. Before playing a slot, have a look at its paytable to see exactly how many ways you can form winning combinations and what other special features the slot has.
As well as having a potentially huge number of ways you can win, Megaways slots have a feature called Cascading Reels. Whenever you win, all of the winning symbols vanish from the grid. The gaps they leave behind are then filled by symbols dropping down from above. This is a Cascade and it can cause new winning combinations to be formed. The number of symbols on each reel stays the same from one Cascade to the next.
Brief History Of Megaways Slots
The concept of Megaways sounds simple enough, really, but it’s actually quite a recent innovation. The very first slot with this feature was the mining-themed Bonanza Megaways. This slot was developed by Big Time Gaming and came out in 2016, attracting a lot of attention thanks to its compelling new feature. Big Time Gaming is an Australian company specialising in creating casino games. After releasing Bonanza Megaways, they created many more Megaways slots in a range of different themes. Some examples include Royal Mint Megaways, Extra Chilli Megaways and Star Clusters Megaways, to name a few. There are even some branded slots based on TV shows and board games that use Megaways, such as Survivor Megaways, Monopoly Megaways and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Megaways. These branded slots are very well themed and incorporate a number of features from their respective TV show or board game.
Big Time Gaming made a sensible and smart business decision when they licensed Megaways to other providers. Thanks to this, online slot creators such as IronDog, Blueprint Gaming, Red Tiger Gaming and iSoftBet have been able to create slots that feature Megaways. There are now several dozen Megaways slots available to play at online casinos, with more in development and getting released soon.
Recent Megaways Slots
In this section, we’ll look at some of the newest Megaways slots to hit online casinos. Back in 2017, Blueprint Gaming released Ted, a slot themed to the adult comedy movie of the same. Earlier this year, the provider released Ted Megaways, which is an enhanced version of the original and has up to 117,649 ways to win on every spin. Characters from the movie make an appearance and special features include a free spins round with a multiplier that increases after every Cascade.
Another new release for 2020 is Western Gold Megaways from iSoftBet. Themed to the wild west, it has up to 117,649 ways to win and a respin feature where there are three jackpot prizes that can be won. There’s also NetEnt’s Twin Spin Megaways, which, like Ted Megaways, is an enhanced version of a previously released slot. The original Twin Spin slot came out in 2013 and its one special feature has at least two identical, adjacent reels on every spin – you could even end up with three, four or five identical reels. The Megaways version keeps the identical reels feature and adds a free spins round with multiplier wilds that can greatly boost your winnings.
Megaways is a creative and thrilling slot mechanic that makes gameplay much more compelling. Play a slot with this feature and you can have a huge number of ways to win on every spin. Plus, whenever you’re lucky enough to win the winning symbols disappear and new ones drop down, giving you a free chance to score another win.
If you’re keen to take your slots experience to the next level, have a go at some Megaways slots. Check out some of the ones in our list above and see for yourself how the Megaways feature works.
Do Megaways slot have a high RTP?
– Even though Megaways slots can offer huge numbers of ways to win, they tend to have an average RTP of around 96%. This can vary slightly depending on the slot and the casino you’re playing it at.
What volatilities do Megaways slots have?
– Megaways slots typically have a high volatility. This means that as you play you probably won’t win that often, but when you do win there’s a chance you’ll earn quite a large payout. If you play a highly volatile slot, you may have to spin the reels many times before winning and even then, there’s a chance you won’t make a profit. These slots can therefore be quite risky.
What Megaways slots have more than 117,649 ways to win?
– Most Megaways slots have a maximum of 117,649 ways to win. There are a few that can have more. IronDog’s 1 Million Megaways BC is a great example. During the free spins round, a seventh reel with nine symbols is added. If all reels have the maximum number of symbols on them, there are a staggering 1,058,841 ways to win.
How is the number of ways to win determined?
– Megaways slots use a random number generator to determine how many symbols there are on each reel and what symbols land every time you spin the reels. Random number generators ensure that slots (and other casino games) are completely fair and unbiased at all times.
Can free spins be used on Megaways slots?
– Yes, you can use free spins on Megaways slots. However, some free spins bonuses can only be used on select slots. Before claiming free spins at an online casino, check the terms and conditions to see what slots the bonus can be used on and if the list includes any Megaways slots. When using free spins from a casino bonus, you can still win real money even though you’re not technically paying for the spins yourself.